Submitted by February BOM Danielle Stewart
Did you instantly start singing the song from the Sound Of Music? I actually think I started humming the song as soon as I started typing.
I thought I would talk about a few of my favorite things and maybe a couple of my guilty pleasures.
1. My Son. I know my son isn’t a thing but he is one of my favorite people. He keeps me inspired to be a better me each and every day. I always find it funny how at 7 he is often my voice of reason. He is wise beyond his age and keeps me on my toes.
2. Sleeping. Let me be perfectly honest, I love sleeping which is funny because I do less of it than anyone that I know. Most of my friends and family worry about me not getting nearly enough sleep but when I do finally hit the bed I am in absolute heaven. If I wasn’t so busy I could probably sleep most days away.
3. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies. I have been officially banned from eating cookies for 22 days according to my son. Just the other night he told me that I had eaten one too many cookies and it was time for me to find a healthier snack. See, I told you—my voice of reason.
4. Netflix. Doesn’t everyone binge watch Netflix? I guess my addiction to Netflix goes a bit further. I work from home and even when I didn’t I would watch Netflix from the time I got to work each day til the time I went to bed. It plays nonstop on my television in my office. Granted I do stop to hang out with my #1 but even he likes Netflix. Just the other day he wasn’t feeling well so we planted ourselves on the couch and watched Once Upon a Time from 4 in the afternoon til 6am.
5. Spontaneity. Although I have a strange addiction to Netflix I also have a need for spontaneity. I live for making memories for my son that he will have for years to come. We have had midnight dance parties in the backyard while listening to songs like Dancing in the Moonlight and Hotel California. Oh I forgot to mention we don’t listen to any music past the 1980s but I will get to that a bit later. Impromptu road trips in the middle of the night. He still talks about that 4 hour trip to Walmart, it’s a long story. None the less I often feel inspired once the sun goes down and my son loves all of our adventures.
6. Real Housewives and Dance Moms. Here are those guilty pleasures that I was talking about. I try to not admit that I watch these shows religiously but I do. My son will sit through Dance Moms with me and we will talk about how horrible Abby treats those girls. However as soon as any of the Real Housewives comes on, he is out the door. He said he doesn’t understand why I want to watch grownups act like that. Yep, always keeping me in check but I just can’t give them up.
7. Oldies. I love the oldies. Next to Netflix music is almost always playing in my house. My favorite Pandora stations are Cyndi Lauper, Diana Ross and Take Me Home Tonight radio. I think these 3 stations pretty much sum up my love for these eras. Although I would never want to live during some of these times in history the music that was produced during these times was simply amazing. I have been listening to KOMA since I was a little girl and my son listens to it now however he doesn’t know that the music isn’t current and is often totally confused when he finds out many of his favorite singers are no longer alive.
8. Hiking. Up to this point you were probably thinking I was a cookie loving, Netflix addicted couch potato. This however is not the case. I do pretty much hibernate in the winter but as soon as it starts to warm up I am out on the trails. I do quite a bit of hiking. Last year I spent the entire summer hiking while my son was away visiting family. I drive up to 3 hours one way to hike near the Oklahoma-Arkansas border. I have hiked Yosemite National Park, Robbers Cave Sate Park, Beavers Bend State Park, Turners Falls, McGee Creek State Park, Alabaster Cavern’s State Park just to name a few. I enjoy hiking because I love being surrounded by nature. If my son isn’t with me I hike alone and it makes my family very nervous. My mom is always saying I will probably die out on a mountain somewhere but I have come back from every hike so far, obviously!
9. Winchester Drive In. The drive in is a way of life for us. I love bringing the aspects of the past to our lives. Going to the drive in was a huge part of American culture at one time and Winchester Drive In lets me keep that alive for my son. In the summer we go every single week for the double feature. I have an SUV so I air up a queen size air mattress in the back stacked with blankets and tons of snacks, cookies of course. We spend the entire evening laying in the back watching movies. I love these moments the most.
10. Blogging. I could write entire books on how much I love blogging and connecting with people all over the world. Some of my best friends I have yet to ever meet in person but talk to them daily on Facebook and weekly over the phone. Blogging has opened so many doors and has changed my life in so many ways. It’s something I can see myself doing for a really long time and that is huge because I am definitely the type that can be all over the place, just look at this list.
I hope that you enjoyed a few of my favorite things. What are your favorite things?
Blogger of the Month Danielle Stewart was born and raised in Oklahoma and returned to Oklahoma after spending five years serving in the U.S. Coast Guard. She is a graphic designer who works from home and blogs at Fitness Fashionista about everything from fitness to