Contributed by OKWB member, Mari Farthing
Before school ended for the year, my daughter’s class went on one final field trip, to the Mabee-Gerrer Museum in Shawnee. If you’ve never been, here are 10 reasons why you should go.
- Mummies. Along with a collection of other ancient Egyptian artifacts, you can see the mummy of “Tutu,” and get up close and personal, and the only one you can find in Oklahoma.
- Ancient artifacts. Items from ancient Central American cultures (such as the Olmecs and Aztecs), and items from ancient Rome, Greece and China show early culture from around the world.
- Paintings. So many paintings, from medieval works to contemporary works, the museum hosts paintings from all eras.
- Knowledgeable staff. Tour the museum with a guide if you can—the staff are very knowledgeable about the artworks and artifacts in the museum. Docent guided tours are free for groups of 10 or more and should be booked 2 weeks in advance. It’s worth it.
- Gift shop. Seriously, the museum has an awesome gift shop with the usual suspects you find plus really cool jewelry and one-of-a-kind things that would make great gifts.
- Hands-on learning. So, like I said, I went with a field trip so this might be specific to a field trip group, but the on-site classrooms provide a great opportunity for hands-on learning for the kids. And yes fine, the adults who like the crafty things. Even if you don’t have a school group, there are family activity ideas on the website (http://www.mgmoa.org/family-activities) to get you started.
- Ambience. The grounds of St. Gregory’s University play host to the museum and the lawns are gorgeous. The day we visited, the trees were blowing in the ubiquitous Oklahoma breeze.
- St. Gregory’s Abbey. There is a working Benedictine Monastery on the grounds of the museum, just across the lovely green expanse of tree-dotted lawn. The Gothic Cathedral features flying buttresses and stained glass and church services.
- Location. Seriously. It’s 40 minutes from the heart of the city.
- Because you haven’t been there before.
Learn more about the Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art at http://www.mgmoa.org
Mari Farthing is a writer and editor in the Oklahoma City area. She blogs about all the things at MariFarthing.com and likes to spend her free time creating things, enjoying things and traveling with her husband & two kids.